Saturday, April 16, 2011

Day 14 and 15 - 30 Days of Biking

Both Day 14 and Day 15 of 30 Days of Biking were spent inside on a spin bike of some kind, so I’m combining the posts for these days.  On Day 14 the forecast for the evening was calling for storms so I knew it would be no riding outside.  One of my friends/coworkers, Char, asked if I’d like to go to the gym with her to ride one of the spin bikes there, so I took her up on the offer.  When we got to the gym we hoped on these two spin bikes that had monitors mounted in front of the handlebars.  They looked like a video game that you would see at an arcade or something…..and that’s pretty much what I felt like when I was on it too.  Char explained to me how to get started, showing me this workout that involved pedaling fast to chase down these dragons for points within a certain amount of time.  Immediately, Char laughed at me because I got VERY into chasing these dragons around.  It didn’t take long for me to work up a sweat.  After slaying dragons via spin bike, it was time to try my hand at one of the virtual races.”  I chose a pretty difficult course that had an elevation chart similar to an EKG print out which meant lots of climbing.  No problem though, I was gonna kill it!  Again, Char laughed at my cycling instinct to get in an aerodynamic position, pedal hard, and climb out of the saddle on the really steep climbs (which was most of them actually).  I definitely was getting a good workout on the arcade wonder machine, but it was so fun that it felt more like “fun work.”  Even though it wasn’t a “real” bicycle, I was Loving the “arcade” Spin Bike!
Day 15 was also rainy, and not the kind I would be alright to suck up and ride in.  At times throughout the day it poured.  Then it turned to snow.  Then rain again.  Not exactly what I wanted to be out in, especially on skinny tires.  SO, you guessed it: spin bike time.  This time I mindlessly spun in my apartment; watching TV, and not taking my spinning too seriously.  I was basically doing just enough to be able to say that I had “rode” for the day.  It actually turned out to be a good thing that I took it easy though, because my efforts climbing virtual hills the night before had taken a toll (once again) on my already sore left hip.  After spinning I looked at my dirty bike over in the corner looking like I had neglected him, so I thought we’d better spend some quality time together for a bit, and what better way to do that than by taking a shower?  Yea, in an apartment I’ve had to be somewhat creative in how I get my bike clean, and I’ve found that just sticking it in the shower to do so is about the best option to get it done and contain the mess.  About half an hour later, I had a nice, clean bike; and we all know a clean bike is a happy bike.  What better way to show that I’m Loving the Bike than to take good care of it?

No comments:

Post a Comment