Saturday, April 16, 2011

Day 13 - 30 Days of Biking

When I got off work on Day 14 of 30 Days of Biking, I couldn’t wait to get home and go for a ride.  It was a little chilly and of course, very blustery outside, but I got changes and hit the road.  It was actually pretty fun to be out and not see very many others.  That always means two things to me: I’m that committed to riding to be out on a not very nice day, AND maybe I should be committed for riding on a not very nice day!  LOL!  Both cases are true, and I just figure that’s what sets me apart from others, good or bad.  The clouds blocked the sun in the sky and the push of the wind made for a chilly late afternoon on the bike and yet a great challenge.  On my climbs up my favorite hill, I turned the crank a little harder than what I usually do, checking my time on my Garmin each time I made it to the top.  I was surprised that despite the wind and the fatigue that was already setting in after just a few miles, I was actually getting faster!  After an hour of riding it was time for me to think about getting back home, so I opted for one last spin around the circuit, and I was gonna push it!  Coming down the hill I was hammering it out big time.  Turning up a short incline I stayed down in the drops, but out of the saddle so I could hold my speed.  In my mind, I was a pro going up again the best in the world, against the wind and sprinting; gritting my teeth.  I kept hammering as “the hill” lurked ahead, and when I got to it there was no down shifting – I attacked!  I was Kristen, Eddy, Evie, and Lance!  My lungs burned, my legs begged me to stop, but I didn’t.  “C’mon!” I yelled out at myself, “Get there!”  Just about to the top I sprinted for the “mountain top finish.”  I crossed the finish line (a sign just past the top of the hill) and checked my time.  My effort had paid off as I had shattered my previously fastest time of the day!  “YEAH!!” I didn’t care who heard me, I was pretty stoked and people were gonna know it!  Relieved, tired, and extremely happy, I pedaled on home feeling kind of like a badass, even though it was only myself I was racing against. 
I know I’m far from a pro, heck, I don’t even race, but that doesn’t stop me from being competitive with myself.  Riding, racing, spinning or sprinting, you know I’m Loving the Bike!

No comments:

Post a Comment