Day 18 - 30 Days of Biking
When I went out for my ride on Day 18 of 30 Days of Biking, I wasn’t exactly sure which way I was going to ride when I got to the trail, so I decided to just let my feet do the thinking. It had been a long day at work and I was kind of tired of thinking and making decisions. I just wanted to ride. Riding has always helped me to clear my head, so I was hoping for that sort of euphoria I have when I mindlessly pedal. As I rolled down the trail I started to get a little angry with myself for thinking that my difficulties at work are of any significance in comparison to some of the actual problems that people have. I mean, who doesn’t get stressed out at their job? Everyone does. I pushed those thoughts out of my head and just then turned the corner to see up ahead the Cancer Survivor Park we have here in Omaha. Something told me I needed to go there today and not just ride by like I usually do, so I pulled off the path and silently wound up to the park. As I rode under these wooden arches that stretch across this portion of the park I instantly got goosebumps. I don’t think there is anyone in the world who in some way hasn’t been affected by cancer, I know I have, and I was suddenly overwhelmed with the memory of my Grandpa Redden who passed away just two weeks before I graduated from high school. His cancer was had originally started in his lungs, but unfortunately before the doctors discovered it, it had spread everywhere. There wasn’t much that could be done, but my grandpa was tough as nails and wouldn’t let anything stop him from starting treatments. He always insisted on fighting—he had been a Chief in the Navy after all—that was just his nature. The day I lost my grandpa was the worst day of my life, and I remember vividly being right there at his side when he left us. I stood there forever with my hand on his chest in complete disbelief, waiting to feel his heart beat again...
By this time, I was sitting on a cement wall next to my bike, crying. I was always my grandpa’s girl and I still miss him even though it’s been 8 years. Other members of my family have fought cancer too: my step mom did a few years back and beat it, and my other grandfather beat it once and is battling it again. All three have shown me what it truly means to be strong and as I glanced down at my Livestrong band (that I NEVER take off) it reminded me that those issues that I was having at work are just trivial, small, meager, in comparison to the fight that so many take on every day. Once I got back to my ride I couldn’t help but think about my family and how grateful I am for them and how something as simple as Loving the Bike can put life back into perspective for me.
What a sweet post and tribute, Krissy. There were a lot of great moments and memories from the #30daysofbiking this year, and I am glad to see how special day 18 was for you.
ReplyDeleteI never take mine off either.
Darryl
Thanks for your comment Darryl. Day 18 was definitely a very special one for me. It reminded me of a lot of things inculding how much I still carry my grandfather with me.
ReplyDeleteI appreciate you checking out my post.