Thursday, May 5, 2011

Day 19 - 30 Days of Biking

More gray skies were in the neighborhood for Day 19 of 30 Days of Biking; the wind was strong too and it was very cold for being late April.  Judging by the lack of cars I saw parked at the bike trail, I knew it would be a pretty solitary ride for me.  No matter though!  The cold couldn’t stop me from pedaling after a long day stuck inside; I was ready to get out and go!  When it’s cold out it always takes me a few miles to really warm up, so I knew that would be the case on this chilly evening.  After a few miles though, I started to feel good and the crosswind wasn’t bothering me too much either.  I got to a spot on the trail that I always try to sprint on or hold a consistent high mph for the entire length of the section.  I got up to 23mph and decided to try to stay right at that speed or higher.  The section is about a mile and a half long or so and with the wind it did become somewhat difficult, but somehow I managed to stay right up there and even got up to 25mph some of the time.  I wasn’t pushing too hard, but I was definitely working.  At the end of the section I slowed to allow a bit of recovery time in the legs.  I was feeling nice and warm.  Finally, up ahead I saw another rider coming towards me.  He gave me what I call a “much respect to you for being out in this unpleasant weather” nod and wave and I returned the gesture back.  I always feel a special bond with a cyclist who is willing to overlook weather conditions and get on their bike anyway.  I feel like those are the people who believe in cycling as more than a hobby, it’s who they are; cycling is in their soul.  Those are my people.  I continued on my way, Loving the Bike and feeling a little more hardcore about my decision to ride no matter how crappy a day it probably seemed to most.

No comments:

Post a Comment