Friday, April 8, 2011

Day 6 - 30 Days of Biking

Books and bikes - is there anything else?
On Day 6 I was feeling kind of “slacker-ish” after Day 5’s spin bike ride, so to make up for it I decided to step it up and not only ride, but ride to work.  So Day 6 of 30 Days of Biking was all about commuting.  I’ve been trying to ride to work more often, so I was looking forward to saving some gas money and getting a ride in before starting the work day.  I loaded up my backpack and got my commute underway. 
It’s always an interesting ride into work, as I have to ride on a busier street and then a highway, and not everyone always welcomes my presence on the road/shoulder.   At one point I had a big diesel truck get up alongside me and then rev his engine and he sped off, so all his exhaust fumes blew in my face.  That was exciting….but it had no effect on me.  I’m out on the road and your big gas guzzler intimidation crap isn’t going to stop me from riding, buddy so get over it.  His actions weren’t going to take away the joy of riding my bike to work!  J
Cyclist + Librarian
Once on the highway I had the nice big shoulder to ride on (even though there is construction in some places that forced me back on the highway) so the commute was a pretty smooth ride in.  I got a couple of waves from some people who know me and pulled up to the library a few short miles later.  Being able to commute to work by bike is something that I love doing.  There’s no greater way to start the day and I find that after the 8 miles it takes to get there, I’m in a better mood and more cheerful too! 
All in all, Day 6 was a great day for riding to the library.  I felt like I lived up to my “Cycling Librarian” alias and felt awesome not relying on my Jeep as a mode of transportation.  Now that’s Loving the Bike!

1 comment: