Thursday, May 19, 2011
Day 21 & Day 22 - 30 Days of Biking
I decided to combine Day 21 and Day 22’s posts for 30 Days of Biking into one entry because they were similar rides with the same goal: to get me over the jerk I encountered on Day 20. These days were spent meandering through and around some of the more scenic areas by my place. I cranked up a few hills, glided down the other side of them, spun by trees and flowers, watched animals going about their daily routines…..it was all pretty nice actually. Before I knew it, I was having fun and most importantly, had stopped thinking about Day 20. Isn’t it funny (or sad) how one person can have an affect on our mood? And not only affect it, but affect it for more than a day?? Typically, I’m not the kind of person who carries anger around with me anymore. I try to let it go and just roll with the punches, but I think every now and then we all come across a person whose attitude stays with us a little longer than what it should. So how do we avoid this kind of scenario? I’m sure there are ways….like getting thicker skin, HTFU, sing that little song about “sticks and stones” in your head…..RIDE YOUR BIKE (in which case, all previous statements apply). If we let one person, one low life, keep us from doing what we love, who wins? Not us! If we back down, bow out, and give up, what message are we sending the drivers who refuse to share the road? As someone who rides on the shoulder of highways and roads often, I feel if I’m doing my part to be as visible as I can (lights, reflectors, etc) and trying to protect myself (following the rules of the road, wearing a helmet, etc), then I am upholding my end of the bargain when it comes to riding safely. I think that if we, as cyclists, are ever going to progress as a part of our communities we need to continue to be advocates and make our presence known out on the road. Now if you don’t typically ride on a road or aren’t comfortable doing so, that’s just fine; I’m not in any way implying that we all need to get out in the streets. What I am saying is that often times the street or the shoulder is the only place we have to ride, especially those who use their bike for commuting to work or running errands. It’s for those reasons that we need to educate drivers and other folks who may not think we “belong” out there that we do. There is strength in numbers and we have the right to ride, so let’s not let cranky motorists get to us and let’s do what we can to change viewpoints so more people are Loving the Bike.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Glad to hear that you got right back out and continued. There are always going to be people that try and drop you down to their level but the only person who has control over your mood is you.
ReplyDeleteKeep the Rubber Side Down.