Thursday, January 12, 2012

2011: A Year In Review

It’s insane to think that 2011 is over already.  So much happened in the span of a year that it feels like it just started, but like a blink of the eyes, it’s gone.  For me, it was probably the most stressful and wonderful year of my life filled with memories and events that almost feel as if they were out of a crazy dream.  Here’s a summary of my 2011:

Career:  I became the Library Director of the Gretna Public Library in September of 2011 after a time of, for lack of better words, intensity at the library.  Throughout the year I spent a great amount of time having to learn and figure out how to run a library without much guidance from a superior.  I’m thankful to say that my staff helped to make much of this time go a bit more smoothly, and the return of a former employee, Rebecca, to become my Assistant, was what kept me sane on some of the most difficult days of this transition.  With a year of being a Library Director under my belt now, I feel that I have at least some better understanding as to what the heck I’m doing.  With becoming the Library Director, I inherited a massive project of opening a separate Children’s Library in town.  This expansion was decided as a temporary means of giving the Library more space until the economy recovers enough that a new BIG library can be built for the community.  Having a hand in every aspect from design to functionality of the building's renovation was quite a learning experience for me and it brought many challenges too.  I’m happy to say that the building is complete and is scheduled to open this first part of 2012.  I’m looking forward to seeing the faces of kids as they walking into the library that was made just for them.

Hobbies:  I know the bulk of everyone who reads this already knows that I’m very passionate about cycling.  Aside from my family and friends, my bike is one of the most significant parts of my life.  In addition to completing two solo century rides (a ride of 100 miles) and logging a few thousand miles in the saddle, I took part in several cycling events in 2011.  In April I joined thousands in the nationwide cycling challenge called 30 Days of Biking.  For the entire month of April I committed to ride my bike every day and on many occasions used it as a means of transportation and not just a form of exercise.  I rode to work, softball practice, and to visit family  members nearby.  In May, I rode in the Ride of Silence here as a way to remember those cyclists who have been injured or killed by vehicles while riding their bikes.  This slow paced ride is one that means a great deal to me and was honored to take part in it.  June was eventful in that it introduced me to a new sport: running.  I’ve never like to run, but a challenge issued by the same awesome Assistant I mentioned earlier left me with no other choice but to show her I could do more than ride a bike.  My first ever 5k with Rebecca wasn’t enjoyable, because once again, I don’t like running.  I was relieved when I crossed the line at 30 minutes and 17 seconds.  By no means did I have the fastest time of the day, but I was glad to complete the race.  Also in June I rode in my second Tour de Cure.  Through the help of friends, family, and a lot of my
“Tweeps” (friends form Twitter) I raised over $700 for the American Diabetes Association and enjoyed a great 50 mile bike ride with some of my cycling friends.  July brought more intensity as once again my big mouth saw me at the start line with Rebecca for my first 8k race.  Rebecca stayed with me the entire time helping to pace me.  When we rounded the last corner I began to think how we talked about sprinting the last bit to race each other.  We both decided we’d sprint, but cross together.  Then I said “GO!” assuming Rebecca was ready, and sprinted like hell and crossing before her.  I’m still living this down a lot of days at work since Rebecca is the runner and it turns out I’m just more of a sprinter.  LOL.  On the same night of my 8k, I decorated my bike in glow sticks for the Owl Ride which is an annual night time bike ride that starts in downtown Omaha.  It was great riding with a couple of friends and seeing thousands of lit up bikes taking over the streets of Omaha at night.  As I’ve done for the last 9 years, I also took part in RAGBRAI (bike ride across Iowa) for the 10th time at the end of July with my family.  While on RAGBRAI, I celebrated my 27th birthday riding with my Dad in our matching Team Uffda jerseys we had made for the family this year.  August brought my last organized group ride of the year with the Corporate Cycling Challange which was another great cycling event I'm glad I was able to do.  It was such a great time and I can’t wait for next July!  With the wonderfully mild winter we’ve had here, I was even able to ride my road bike on Christmas Eve!  It was a great way to end another great year on the bike.

Life:  I saved this section for last, because it is the one that is most important to me and made me the happiest.  After a year of long distance love, I went to Tulsa, OK to watch my boyfriend, Chaps, race in the Tulsa Tough weekend of cycling crits.  Since the previous year’s Tulsa Tough had been where I met Chaps for the first time, I was really looking forward to being back in that great place again.  Little did I know my whole world would change on June 10, 2011.  Before the start of his first race, Chaps grabbed a microphone, called me out to the start line, and in front of a HUGE crowd and at least 80 guys ready to race, got down on one knee and asked me to be his wife.  I was completely shocked, but finally was able to get the answer of “YES!” out.  Wedding plans are in the works, but my fiancé and I will be waiting to tie the knot until 2013.  In the meantime, Chaps and I will continue to visit each other and enjoy our mini vacations, and I can’t wait to cheer him on during some of his bike races this year.  I am his #1 fan after all!  Chaps will be making the move to Omaha later this year as well.  We are both so looking forward to living together fulltime, and are so excited about all the wonderful things in store for us as husband and wife.
 
Chaps asking me to marry him- best moment of my life!

I hope your 2011 was great and 2012 brings you many blessings and lots of long rides!  I'll catch ya on the road!


2 comments:

  1. Great review of 2011, Krissy. It was such a pleasure getting to know you better during 30 days of biking in April...and then meeting you and Chaps in person last summer was a total highlight.


    Darryl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, Darryl! I had a blast during the 30 Days of Biking event too, and hope we all take part in it again this year. Chaps and I had a great time meeting your family in September as well :) Always cool to meet friends from Twitter, but seeing you all was AWESOME!

      Delete