Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Brake Check: Slowing Down to Make a Friend

Sometimes, something as simple as getting out for an afternoon bike ride can turn into so much more.  That's what happened to me recently while seeking the first hints of spring here in the Midwest.

I was thrilled to be getting out in just bib shorts and a jersey instead of the layers that come with colder weather.  My mentality was, "zip along as fast as you can, as far as you can, before it gets dark."  That all changed however, when I neared another cyclist cruising along on his old beat up mountain bike.

Jim, who wore a white t-shirt and black sweat pants instead of a spandex cycling kit, quickly struck up a friendly conversation with me as I began to pass him.  He jokingly stated that bike riding is a lot more enjoyable than running a marathon, which he had recently completed.  Impressed, I extended my arm out to him, my hand in a fist, to pass on a "fist bump of respect," as I call it.  In this one gesture, I instantly gained a riding partner.

Right away Jim brought up how he'd trained for and completed two marathons and that he hadn't been riding long so was still learning the ins and outs of it.  Hearing this I thought to myself how tough this guy was, and kinda chuckled at how casually he spoke about running, because like cycling, running was just something one day he decided he'd start doing.  It reminded me very much of Forrest Gump, so in my head I gave Jim the characteristic of having a "cool Forrest Gump mentality."

I knew up ahead that there was some construction to maneuver around, I invited Jim to follow me so I could safely guide him off the trail and through an apartment complex, and a park, then back onto the trail on the other side.  Thanking me all the while for my guidance, Jim asked if I had any tips to pass along to him as he hoped to pursue riding more often, and I quickly discovered that Jim's plans entail him riding across the country.  His comments to me were "why not?" and while I could certainly think of a few reasons, I was both saddened and moved by the personal details of his life he began to share, explaining the "why not" mindset.  He told me of one of his children passing away a few years ago, and his marriage and family that fell apart as a result.  I thought to myself, "this is true heartache."

Have you ever fought an internal battle with yourself where you know you have something to offer or say, but you risk being vulnerable, laughed at, or ridiculed?  That's what was going on with me during this time, because what I so badly wanted to share with Jim is that we don't always understand the reason things happen in life until further down the road, but to know that he is God's most precious possession, and God will never give him anything in life that he can't overcome.  After several minutes though my heart told my head to shut up, and I dropped all of my worries, so I could tell Jim what I believed he should know.  I wanted to encourage Jim, and give him hope, and so the words that needed to come out flowed from my mouth.

Instantly, I felt good about what I was saying, and even better was that Jim took those words, absorbed them, and what followed was a dialogue about struggle, beliefs, God, and overcoming that I never in a million years could have predicted I'd have from the saddle of my bike when I set out for my ride that afternoon.  I learned so much about Jim, and I felt that my purpose in that moment was to be a good listener for him, because it seemed he had so many thoughts running rampant through his heart and mind, and I could tell he appreciated simply having someone to share those thoughts with; and I was happy to be that someone.

Forty miles later (the absolute furthest Jim has ever ridden at one time...previously it had been 10 miles) we arrived back at the section of the trail where we had each started riding- Jim's destination would be to go right, and mine would be left.  We stopped at this fork in the road and wrapped up our conversation, and I shared the names of a few people I know who could get him going in the right direction for his long distance bike/camping adventure.  It was then that I noticed the tears in Jim's eyes as he thanked me for listening, letting him ride with me, and encouraging him.  Instead of a fist bump this time, I gave my new friend, Jim, a hug.  Sometimes that's all a person needs- to know they're cared about.  We had exchanged email addresses earlier, so I requested he keep me posted on his adventures, and wished him a safe ride back home.  One new friend went left, and one went right, but I know we'll meet up at that fork in the trail again to ride and catch up.

For the rest of the evening all I could think about was how blessed I was to have been in the right place at the right time so I could share my ride with Jim.  I believe strongly that we're put where we are needed, and on that day, God needed me to be there for Jim.  It's a funny thing the way life works sometimes, but I appreciate these moments so much.  I don't ever want to get so caught up in MY plans that I fail to tap the brakes and recognize the ones that have already been made for me.

Enjoy your ride!

Krissy
"As long as you're spinning, you're moving forward" -Grandpa Nelson

No comments:

Post a Comment